Dual LIne POE Cameras

Things that make it go whrrrrr
Mike R
Site Admin

Dual LIne POE Cameras

Post by Mike R »

How to run two POE cameras from a single LAN line.

In every LAN line there are 4 twisted pairs of lines. Two are twisted a bit tighter than the others, and these are the pairs that run data.

So long as you can rememvber this, you'll be ok.

USE CASE

I have three lines run out to my garage and don't want, or have room, to pull another line, In any LAN line, generally only one pair are being used for simple data.
In POE situations, two pairs are used. The green pair is data, and the orange pair is power.
For this write-up I'll call them the POE PAIR.
I dug through my box of odds and ends and came up with 4 peices of LAN line with a single crystal on an end.
I also grabbed two keystones.

Combine the POE pairs from two of these LAN lines into one keystone and then run a patch cable between them for testing.
On the first keystone the first POE pair go in as usual, into the B configuration, and the remaining pairs just get wrapped around the end of the line to keep them out of the way.
The second POE pair go into that same keystone, directly adjacent to the first pair, matching color. All we are doing is maintaining a pattern to carry data and power over the patch cable between the keystones, and then dividing it again at the other end.
poe_x_2.jpg
poe_x_2.jpg (227.38 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Do this same proceedure on the other keystone and you will end up with the correct configuation, and two running cameras from a single carrier line.
You Wouldn't Believe How Hard I Have to Work to be Lazy